Read the latest Active Whitehorse News click here
WATAG commends Whitehorse City Council for its Active Transport Forum initiative aimed at making Active Transport an important part of the future of Whitehorse.
Attend if you can, and share you thoughts with Council and others in the community.
Click here for more details.
Wednesday 21st February, any time between 5pm and 7pm
At Whitehorse Centre Nunawading (rear of Civic Centre)
Active Transport – What is it?*
Active transport refers to any form of human-powered transportation – walking, cycling, using a wheelchair¹ or even in-line skating or skateboarding.
(*Definition adapted from the Public Health Agency of Canada)
¹Note: We include private mobility carts used instead of a wheelchair to enhance mobility.
There are many ways to engage in active transportation, whether it is walking to the bus stop or train, cycling to school to work or to the shops, or going by wheelchair or mobility cart to the library or to visit a friend.
You can even run your business on a bike!
What are the benefits?
There are many reasons to encourage people to use active transport rather than a car.
- Health – Active transport provides an opportunity to be physically active on a regular basis.
- Social – Active transport is accessible to virtually everyone and increases social interactions.
- Convenience – Active transport reduces road congestion and increases road safety, and encourages people to use public transport
- Environmental – Active transport and associated public transport use is environmentally-friendly and can contribute to reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.
- Economic – Active transport saves personal money on fuel and parking, and reduces the need for expensive additional public expenditure on road infrastructure for cars.
Why have an Action group?
In a few words … To achieve improved health and environmental sustainability
We believe this can be achieved by:
- Promotion of safe participation in active transport for all people – walking, cycling and mobility travel
- Promotion and advocacy for greater access to, and use of, public transport for all people
- Promotion and encouragement of safe and respectful behaviour towards other transport users when ‘on the move’.
And by liaison with:
- Relevant local, state and federal governments and authorities in relation to the planning and construction of active transport infrastructure for walking, cycling, accessibility and public transport connectivity.
- Other like-minded groups to achieve the above outcomes.
Your interest or involvement?
WATAG Inc is a representative community group, so the interest and support of people like you is essential. Refer to About Us page for details of how WATAG Inc. is structured.