BikeSpot 2020 results are in!
They received over 31,000 submissions (spots, comments and ‘likes’) overall in the 2 month period between 31 March 2020 and 31 May 2020. This is an increase of 260% from of the BikeSpot project conducted back in 2016.
The top 5 findings are:
- 1. Cyclists and drivers want dedicated space from other transport modes
- 2. Traffic speed causes the most stress for cyclists
(followed by ‘Too much vehicle traffic’ and ‘Car dooring’ fears).
- 3. Want more confident riders? — Build a connected network
‘Interested but concerned’ cyclists (least experienced / least confident cyclists) rank on average ‘Cycle lane ends’ as their top stress experience.
- 4. Fear of car dooring — a daily concern
Top submitted fears that cyclists experience multiple times per week.
- 5(a). Top 10 Unsafe — Transport corridors surrounding the Melbourne CBD are the biggest issues
- 5(b). Top 10 Safe Spots — Recognising the best separated and off-road paths