Melbourne City Council is about to transform Southbank Boulevard and Dodds Street
Construction of the first stage of the Southbank Boulevard and Dodds Street Concept Plan will start in July 2018.
The transformation of Southbank Boulevard and Dodds Street will create 2.5 hectares of new public space in one of Melbourne’s most densely populated suburbs.
The Concept Plan, adopted by Council in 2017, outlines a new vision for Southbank that will:
- create 2.5 hectares of new public open space;
- prioritise pedestrians, public transport and cyclists;
- deliver a new, accessible tram stop on Sturt Street;
- enhance the gateway into the Arts Precinct;
- create a living link, connecting the Domain Parklands to the Yarra River;
- create a ‘Melbourne Experience’ for Southbank;
- build a new civic square for the precinct;
- deliver a series of new neighbourhood parks for the community.
Located in the heart of Melbourne’s Arts Precinct, this project will transform this once busy street into one of Australia’s most pedestrian-friendly places. It recognises the rich history and stories of the site and it is based on extensive community and stakeholder engagement.
Click for the full MCC bulletin: Southbank-Boulevard-Bulletin-June-2018